Friday, April 25, 2014

They're Lying to You!



Essays on Love-Volume 2
Or
Marriage is awesome, you should try it.
Or
A note to single people who are too scared to make a commitment

Since this blog is for the stated purpose of exposing lies, I thought it was time for me to expose the greatest conspiracy known to mankind. It’s a lie you’ve been told your whole life. It’s a lie that is accepted as truth in almost every kind of media and our daily conversations. It is a sick, sad lie that, like most lies, can become true if we believe it. It’s a lie that I once believed with my whole heart because it was so ubiquitous in our culture.  In fact, I don’t know that there has ever been a more destructive lie told through the history of time.  

Here are some examples of places it has appeared:

“Ain't much difference between kidnapping and marriage. You get snatched from your parents. But in marriage, nobody offers a reward.”
The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941)


“Marriage is like an institution. So is Alcatraz"
Look Who's Laughing

"Love...a dangerous disease instantly cured by marriage."
Law & Order (1990)

"No one should ever expect happiness from marriage. A few quiet moments, perhaps, if one is lucky...and an occasional day that doesn't incite you to murder."
Clothes in the Wardrobe (1993)

"Ever since we said 'I do', there are so many things we don't."
I Love Lucy (1951)

Shall I go on? By the time I made it to eighteen, I was absolutely certain of a few different things when it came to marriage. I was sure that men were incapable of being faithful in their hearts, even if they technically managed it. I was sure that romance disappeared quickly after vows were made. I was sure that unhappiness was inevitable and had to be worked through. I had been so exposed to the lie that marriage is a nearly-impossible sacrifice that I was scared to death of it. It wasn’t just the TV that convinced me of this. Well meaning people love to tell you that fairytale endings don’t exist, that marriage is hard work, and that the happiness you find in being married is an eventuality, not for the here and now. Just last year, all my friends were passing around a deep and meaningful blog about how “Marriage isn’t for you.” It’s for your spouse and your children. Fortunately, by that time, I understood the lie.

When I met my husband, I was kind of horrible to him. I was convinced that men were cruel, selfish, and all about the moment. Although I believed him when he said he loved me, I also knew, as society had taught me, that love couldn’t make it past marriage. It is almost unbelievable that I was so cynical considering that I was surrounded by happily married couples, including my parents.  But the media is a very powerful tool and I was sure that happiness was not a fairytale, but a complacence. 

I broke up with Nathan every week or so. I flat out refused him when he brought up marriage. I loved his kindness, gloried in his compliments, and passionately adored him more, the more I learned about him. But I could not marry him. In fact, Heavenly Father had to hit me over the head with a proverbial brick of revelation to get me to accept his proposals. Even then, when I knew that it was the right thing to do, I didn’t want to. Determined to be found accepting of the Lord’s will, I decided to jump into the marriage with both feet. I did so, and landed…
                                                                                     …in the fairytale.  

My husband was/is loving, attentive, supportive and faithful. He made me feel beautiful every day. He appreciated my talents. He supported me through my disappointments. He made, and makes, me happy. I was twenty-one when I married Nathan. I’m thirty-four now. Fourteen years isn’t that long compared to eternity. It isn’t even that long compared to the marriages of some of the people around me. But it is long enough to convince me that everything I knew about marriage was wrong. Let me share just a few truths I’ve learned since becoming a Mrs. 

Is marriage hard?

No. Life is hard, and if you're married, then that is part of life. But life without marriage is much harder. I discovered this on my honeymoon and have never looked back. I was shocked by the feelings of contentment that came with commitment. All of the stress melted away and our relationship got much better, not worse as TV would have you believe, with commitment. I promised Nate on that honeymoon that I would never even bring up divorce, it just wasn't an option. But that whole conversation was unnecessary. I have never even thought about divorce. I get so frustrated with people saying that they "want to finish college first." Sometimes there is something else in their lives that they need to get through. It's stupid. College, indeed all challenges we face, are so much better within a loving marriage.

Are all men unfaithful?

No. When I was first married, I doubted my husband’s insistence that no one was as beautiful as I was. I thought he was lying to me when he told me that this or that actress with the perfect body could never compare to me. In the years since then, I’ve realized that we don’t all embrace the world’s idea of physical beauty. If you love someone, really love someone, your perception of beauty changes to match the reality of the person you love. I am far from the perfect physical specimen but I have come to believe that he sees perfection when he looks at me, as I see it when I look at him. There is such thing as a man who is faithful, even in his heart.   

Does arguing with one another mean you are unhappy?

No. Honestly, I think the only couple that doesn’t argue is one where one spouse is so much smarter than the other that he/she defers automatically. This seems absolutely miserable in my mind. Who wants to be married to someone who isn’t their equal? My husband and I disagree all the time. We expand each other, enlighten each other and challenge each other. Sometimes we get angry. Sometimes I want to bite his face. But happiness does not require complete harmony. It only requires that the preponderance of the time be uplifting. 

Does getting married mean an end to romance?

No. And the rest is none of your business. :-)

Is every marriage happy?

No. At least, I assume not. But I still maintain that the lies about marriage perpetuated by our culture are lies. Unfortunately those lies have had the effect of self-fulfilling prophesy for some people, twisting marriage into something that it isn't. Men are told that they aren't supposed to be faithful, so they're not. Women are told that they are supposed to be unhappy, so they are. It's as cunning an evil plan as could be perpetrated on what is, and always has been, the key to true happiness. The truth is that the condition of a marriage is what people believe it to be. So, waiting and fearing it sets you up for failure. That is why people who live together first are so much more likely to divorce. They were unwilling to commit in the first place. 

Is Marriage a trial for us to get through?

Yes, but only in the same sense that having money is a trial. It comes with its own challenges and lessons that we must work through to find true happiness. Still, on the whole, I’d rather have that trial than live without it. 

If it’s so wonderful, why do so many people divorce?

I'm not the one to answer this. I know that I have limited experience and I respect that others have gone through challenges I have not. But, I think this often has to do with expectations. Most people don’t go into a marriage not knowing the person they are marrying, despite what we’ve been told. A fair number of us go into a marriage expecting that the failings we see in our beloved will change after we’ve married them. “I hate that he won’t go to church with me, but he’ll change when he sees how much it means to me.” Except that he thinks you’ll stop nagging him because you love him. Never expect marriage to change someone. Marry them because the qualities you love in them are more important than the things you would like to change. Then focus on the good. If there is something about them you absolutely cannot live with, they are not the right one.



I am not an expert in anything. I have absolute sympathy for those who have dealt with the trials of infidelity, abuse and heartbreak. But the truth is that these situations are the exception, not the rule. The truth is that there is absolutely nothing in this life that can bring more joy, satisfaction, self-esteem and contentment than being married to your best friend. The truth is that the trials we will inevitably face are easier when you have someone facing them with you. The truth is that the only way to glimpse heaven is through the love that you share within a family unit. The truth is that making marriage into something to be feared, rather than anticipated, is a big part Satan’s clever plan to make  you miserable. 

But you don’t have to believe me…

“My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me.”

-Winston Churchill

“My husband and I are best of friends first and foremost. We fight like cats and dogs, but never stay mad for long. I was lucky to find him, he is in every way, my soulmate.”
-Carnie Wilson

“Happiness is only real when shared."                                                            
-Jon Krakauer  
                                                       
"Making you happy makes me happy, and that's not hard because you're a happy person."
-My husband

“I love this beautiful  woman. Here's to another 41 years together.”
-My Dad



"I am grateful to be able to say that in our long life together I cannot remember a serious quarrel. Small differences occasionally, yes, but nothing of a serious nature. I believe our marriage has been as idyllic as anyone’s could possibly be.

"I recognize that many of you are similarly blessed, and I compliment you most warmly, for when all is said and done there is no association richer than the companionship of husband and wife, and nothing more portentous for good or evil than the unending consequences of marriage."

-Gordon B. Hinckley

No comments: