Friday, March 13, 2009

What is a Spawn of Ignorance?


This website was not planned. It was born out of a desire to speak my frustrations the day after the most recent presidential election. I was frustrated by the outcome and also by the people who seemed to be losing hope because of the direction of the country. Because it all came together willy nilly, I recently realized that I have never taken the time to define it. I’m certain that my ideas come through in my writing, but today I want to tell you exactly what the thesis of this blog is.

The title of my blog is a quote by William Lloyd Garrison. In case you’re unfamiliar with him, he was a prominent abolitionist and advocate of women’s suffrage. While many notable abolitionists of the day were arguing for a gradual transition from slavery to freedom for Blacks, Mr. Garrison called for, “"immediate and complete emancipation of all slaves". This is also the goal of my blog.

You see, we’re no longer talking about an enemy as clearly visible as chains and forced labor. That makes it all the more dangerous. We’re talking about the soft, whispered slavery that is politically correct and willingly submitted to. Obviously, I address political issues here. So many people think its okay to vote away their freedoms in exchange for “being taken care of.” But, the quote states that “Tyrant’s are but the spawn of ignorance, begotten by the slaves they trample on,” and I interpret that in a much broader sense. I am opposed to all tyrants, be they politicians, disease, drugs, misinformation, misunderstanding, addiction or cruelty. I often talk about the growth of government, but I also oppose the tyrants that come from our own choices.

There is one more aspect to my writing. I believe, firmly, that the greatest tyrant of all is helplessness. I know so many who have said, “Look, I agree with you, but there is nothing I can do.” I have said this blog will always be positive. Maybe I worded that wrong. This blog will always be empowering. The only way to defeat helplessness is to speak up and continue acting honorably. Too many people think that there is nothing they can do.

I believe in people, not in institutions, government, or protectors. I believe that free agency was a gift from God and should not be surrendered in exchange for any perceived benefit. So, the goal of my writing is the same as the goal of Mr. Garrison’s. I state, as he did in the first issue of his newspaper, “I am aware that many object to the severity of my language; but is there not cause for severity? I will be as harsh as truth, and as uncompromising as justice. On this subject, I do not wish to think, or to speak, or write, with moderation. No! no! Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm; tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of the ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from the fire into which it has fallen; – but urge me not to use moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest – I will not equivocate – I will not excuse – I will not retreat a single inch – AND I WILL BE HEARD. The apathy of the people is enough to make every statue leap from its pedestal, and to hasten the resurrection of the dead.”

No comments: