Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Triumph of Reason


Some of you may remember, last month I was reading Costco's monthly magazine when I came across an article asking whether animals deserve the same rights as people. The argument in favor of giving animals human rights came from an uppity-up at PETA at a time when celebrities were getting in line to strip their clothes off in photo shoots for the organization. You can read the riveting commentary here. (if you missed it, at least check out the funny picture)

Today, there is good news far all logical thinkers. This month's magazine contains a poll of reader's opinions on the last issue. Ninety-three percent sided with me! Now, I freely admit that I sometimes enjoy being in the minority. It is much more meaningful to stand up for your beliefs when you're standing alone. However, I am thrilled to see what I had always suspected. This is a country full of intelligent people seeking to make moral decisions while avoiding fad-thinking.

I certainly do not listen to the opinions of celebrities when I am weighing arguments to help me achieve an opinion on anything. But, I involuntarily laughed yesterday when I read that Angie Harmon (an actress, I think...not sure) had to come out and declare to the press the fact that, even though she disagrees with President Obama, she isn't a racist. The article I read pointed out that she is in the minority among celebrities in her thinking. It quoted 4 female stars all eager to tout Obama for being "articulate and so well versed," "thoughtful and considerate," and " a wonderful leader." It all makes for a nice fuzzy feeling if we're talking about someone running for student body president of a high school, but not much else. Of course, I'm not sure whether any of the actresses in question graduated from high school. Maybe they're trying to relive what they missed. Still, people will listen to what actors say. People will watch when actors strip naked for PETA. I am proud of the fact that I will not be the only one in this country who won't notice and doesn't care.

God Bless America!!!

No comments: