Sunday, September 20, 2009

The words of people much smarter than me: relationships

What are we missing in this world? What has changed since the days when my grandmother was growing up? Don't get me wrong. I am forever grateful to live in a world with technology, which provides access to information and education like never before. I believe that truth is light and learning is the key to both. I love being able to answer any question my children have, because I can look it up in seconds. People cannot be kept ignorant in a world where anyone can be a researcher. More importantly, I am grateful to live in a world with the advanced medical knowledge we have. The illnesses which may have taken my children's lives a few decades ago, barely keep them home from school today. We have so much, so many tools to fight the slavery that ignorance brings. But it seems to me that some of the most fundamental truths have been forgotten in our push to be smarter, faster, better. Why are so many of us unhappy in this miraculous world? We don't have to be. When you leave behind the slavery of ignorance of the academic, do not embrace the slavery of ignorance of how to be happy.

No comments: