Friday, October 30, 2009

2.2 Million a Word


Please take a look at this article. In part, it says:

"The House health care bill unveiled Thursday clocks in at 1,990 pages and about 400,000 words. With an estimated 10-year cost of $894 billion, that comes out to about $2.24 million per word."

I thought it was very creative reporting. Note that the estimated cost is only for 10 years, not beyond. I certainly doesn't include all the "tweaking" they'll be attempting to throw in over those ten years to get the support of one special interest group or another.

Consider the words of Frederic Bastiat (1848):

"The State is the great fiction through which everyone seeks to live at the expense of everyone else...The State cannot satisfy one party without adding to the labor of the others."

I don't know how much more I can say about health care. To me, it is so blindingly obvious that this is a tyrant lying in wait to gobble up more of what the United States stands for...freedom...that I'm feeling a little sick to my stomach thinking about it. Of course, I think the fact that the American people don't want it should stand for itself.

Me, being me, however, I think I will enjoy a little chuckle at the Politico article, call my "representatives" in Washington, and hold my little ones a bit tighter tonight. For the people in Washington, its votes that are at stake today. For me, its the future of four beautiful children. My stakes couldn't be higher. I can't help feeling like that counts for something.

No comments: