Wednesday, October 7, 2009

New Perspectives on Universal Healthcare


I admit that I have been avoiding sharing my thoughts on healthcare because it is such a divisive issue. But, yesterday, I sat in a dentist’s office waiting room for an hour, reading Newsweek. I have never been exposed to such a load of slanted, untrue nonsense. I wondered whether this was a perspective my dentist espoused or whether he just stuck the magazines in his office without being concerned about what they said. Throughout my life, this would have made me very uneasy about speaking my mind. It’s much easier to preach to those who agree with you. I found myself, however, being very candid in small talk with the dentist, even when it became civilly political. In fact, I still do not know what his position is. But I have realized that I am growing out of being afraid to be who I am.

If I can be straight forward in person, I can certainly be unafraid on the internet. I am extremely secure in my beliefs.

Today, I want to share one more reason why the government plans being put forward will not fulfill the promise of lowering healthcare costs. Do you want to know who usually ends up in my husband’s ER? It’s not poor people without insurance who have neglected their healthcare to the point that they have no choice but emergent care, as the proponents of universal coverage would have you believe.

It’s people on Medicaid.

A very frequent conversation goes something like this:

Doctor: The symptoms are indicative of a viral infection. You will need to stay hydrated and I can give you something to help with the symptoms. But resting and waiting it out are the best treatment options now.

Patient: I was really thinking I need a chest x-ray.

Doctor: It wouldn’t help at all in your situation. If you start suffering from new symptoms, please see your regular doctor, but I am sure a little time will allow your body to heal.

Patient: Just do the x-ray to be sure.

Doctor: Listen, I’m trying to keep your bill down. If I thought an x-ray would show anything, I would order one, but…

Patient: I don’t get a bill. I’m on Medicaid.

You think I’m kidding? My husband hears this ALL the time. I know people who would indiscriminately take their children to the emergency room for ear infections because they did not like the family practice doctors who would take them. There is a reason that ER visits increased in Massachusetts when universal coverage was implemented. I’ll be sharing additional perspectives as they arise.

No comments: