Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Further Proof of Equality


Earlier this year, Newsweek magazine suggested that babies are innately racist. Of course, if we're born that way, then it should be okay, right? The federal government seems to think so. A couple days ago, my son brought this paper home from school and told me I had to sign it. The paper that accompanied the form included a very strong language about how the form was "required" and parents "must" return it. Well, you know how much I enjoy being told what I must do. So, to convince parents like me, the note threatened that, as a last resort, the teachers would simply look at my child and decide for themselves what race he is. Since I got the note, my son has asked me repeatedly to please sign it. I couple of times, I have sat down with the intention of doing so, at the behest of my sweet Ryan. But, each time, the wording ticks me off again and I find myself unable to fill it out.

The people who know me understand that I am extremely difficult to offend. But seriously? The federal government wants to categorize my child by his race in order to prevent racism? It makes no sense. I suppose they're going to have to decide for themselves what color my sons are. It won't be hard. They are both the only "white non-hispanics" in their classes. Until today, I didn't think that mattered at all. I chose a predominately Hispanic school because I wanted them to learn a second language.

I will not set the precedent in teaching my children that grouping by race is ever appropriate or helpful. Until we have a truly colorblind society, we will never be one people I would think that the government would set the example by by recognizing that a student is a student no matter what color.

But do you want to know the real tragedy in this type of mindset? Ryan is a very talented young man. He's brilliant and thoughtful. He's wants to be a "mathematician and a sciencematician." He loves music and drawing. He shows a real aptitude for computer science. No one is bothering to ask "who" he is. They are concerned about who he is descended from. I am proud that my kids never describe their friends by their race and or ethnicity. If they did, they'd miss everything about them that makes them who they are.

No comments: