Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thank a Hero




My Grandpa, Reed Talmadge Johnson, passed away last month. His life was far from limited to the service he gave during World War II. But, today is Veteran's Day and I want to tell a story. I confess that I am embarrassed that I may not remember all the details correctly. Grandpa loved to tell stories and I loved to listen. But, as I got older, I became busier and the old stores were not always refreshed with new tellings. If you still know World War II veteran, write their stories down before they are gone forever.

My grandpa was anxious to enlist in the navy. In fact, he and a friend went in to sign up together when they were underage. They were promised that they would always be able to serve together. Well, grandpa wasn't able to get his parents to sign the release, so his buddy went into the navy without him. That friend was killed at Pearl Harbor.

When he did enlist, Grandpa served on a floating dry dock in the United States Navy. He liked to tell how he was hand picked for the position. He often described the majesty of the broken ships that came aboard to be fixed. Throughout his life his third love, after family and religion, was his country. His children were taught how to raise, lower and properly care for the flag in their front yard. Later, he kept dozens of little plastic American flags at his home and I was often given one to wave and told never to let it near the ground. I took that requirement very seriously.

I don't know how it happened that grandpa ended up on a beach somewhere during the war. I suppose he was on leave, but I can't recall where. He once told me a story of sitting on a beach with a friend who had been drinking. they were both missing their families. Grandpa had left behind a new wife to serve his country. The friend had said something along the lines of, "That's it. I don't want to do it any more. I'm going home." Then he had jumped into the ocean, intending to swim back to the United States. Grandpa had to jump in after him and pull him back to safety.

Sometimes I get so frustrated by how far we've come from the freedom loving people grandpa was fighting for. We're so concerned with our busy lives, immersed in our technology, consumed by our own problems, that many of us don't even realize what's happening. This Veteran's Day, Let's begin the long swim back to the United States. And, thank a soldier, honor a veteran, pray in gratitude for this divinely inspired nation. It is a sacred stewardship.

No comments: