Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Partison Politics and Beautiful Music

Politics are probably the most divisive thing on Earth. You have a whole group of people who love to tell you that it doesn’t have to be that way. Almost daily, we have calls for “bipartisanship,” This, of course, means the person who is not preaching bipartisanship is unreasonable and needs to change his/her perspective to match that of the person who wants cooperation.

I am someone who does not like conflict at all. When I have to fight with a credit card company, I end up lying awake at night with a sick feeling in my stomach, trying not to think about the disagreement. So, there are days when reading the news is tantamount to self-inflicted torture. I get discouraged with all the hatred that is being spewed out of the mouths of those who disagree with me. I get heartsick when I hear the same coming from those who share my views.

Unfortunately, much of modern society believes that the cause of freedom is heartless. This means that I am often called bigoted, judgmental, and ignorant. It’s just the opposite. True conservatives are the only ones that embrace the trite sayings like “reach for the stars,” “be all you can be,” and “live your dreams.” Whether or not you believe that these ideas can exist in the practical world, they are the essence of what I believe and the inspiration for my actions.

I believe that anyone can accomplish anything if they are taught their own worth. I believe that the world is what we make it and our success or failure is dependent on our own choices. I believe that love is best displayed through teaching the value of hard work, because that will bring happiness. I believe in freedom, in all its forms, for all people. And most importantly, I believe that charity is an act of love, and never an act of pity.

Sacrificing these beliefs in the name of bipartisanship will never produce the happiness that is used as a justification while arguing for this sacrifice. Very often, it’s far superior to have disagreement than to have submission. We don’t disagree to disagree, we disagree because we know what’s right.

Because we can't completely avoid the negativity and because we don't want to remain discouraged, I am sharing a video today that was sent to me by a friend. It's completely irrelevant to the discussion. But! It's beautiful. It can help wipe away the sadness that sometimes comes along with our battle. The next time life gets to you, take a break, close your eyes and listen to this:

No comments: