Monday, April 13, 2009

The White Man's Greed

First, let me say I'm sorry for how long it's been since I posted. I had my son's birthday and Easter to work on. But today's post is so funny that it will make up for it. There was a controversy in the period leading up to the presidential election about this quote:

"It is this world, a world where cruise ships throw away more food in a day than most residents of Port-au-Prince see in a year, where white folks' greed runs a world in need, apartheid in one hemisphere, apathy in another hemisphere...That's the world! On which hope sits!"

It is a quote from Barack Obama's book. Some conservative commentators used it to hurt Obama, rightly so. The left shot back that it was taken out of context. The quote is actually Barack Obama quoting his pastor. I ask, "does it matter?" Whoever originally said it, Obama thought it was an important point. Now, I really wish I could comment on this quote, but I just don't want to. Instead, I'm going to share with you two pieces of recent news.

1) Michelle Obama becomes the first White House Wife to hire a full-time, traveling make-up artist!

2) On Friday the president had some friends over for pizza. He remembered a pizzaria from the campaign trail and decided to fly the pizza dough and the restaurant staff from St. Louis to prepare dinner.


Funny stuff! Perhaps Obama is more "white" than he likes to pretend?

As a side note: I would like to point out that yesterday "for the first time in my adult life" I was proud of President Obama. He authorized the navy seals to rescue the boat captain being held by the pirates. It showed that he does have the capability to act. Now, he needs to stop prancing around Europe, referring to America as "arrogant" and start exhibiting the leadership he was elected for.

No comments: