Thursday, April 2, 2009

What My Freedom Means to Me


I wrote my share of “what my freedom means to me” essays in school. Like the other budding writers, I focused on the price paid by so many before me in the fight for a free society. If I had the chance to write those essays now, they would be a little different. It wouldn't be written from the perspective of someone handed a diamond earned by the blood of those who came before. That element is important, but not the most important. I would write an essay from the perspective of someone given an important job. Yes, it is an honor to receive it. But, more importantly, it is a responsibility to be worthy of it.

This may be the most important point I ever make on this blog: FREEDOM TO ACT DOES NOT MEAN FREEDOM FROM CONSEQUENCES. Read the sentence again, just to be absolutely certain you're grasping the magnitude of it.

It broke my heart to read yesterday that Professor Ward Churchill has the opportunity to earn his job back after being fired from the University of Colorado. Let's start with a little history. Following the September 11th terrorist attacks, Mr. Churchill wrote and essay in which he compared America, and specifically the victims who lost their lives, to Nazi's. He blamed America for the attacks on America. There was a public outcry. Later, he was fired from his position as a tenured professor because of plagiarism and other academic concerns.

Mr. Churchill sued the University, claiming that his firing would never have happened if I hadn't been for his controversial essay and that the plagiarism was just a cover. Yesterday, a jury ruled that he was wrongly fired. The University will have to pay his legal fees and potentially give him back his position. His lawyer is calling it a landmark decision in the name of free speech. I think it is a landmark decision in the name of irresponsibility.

First, I will not argue about whether or not he was actually fired for the essay. I don't care. You see, I believe in freedom of speech. This means that I may say whatever I like without fear of being jailed. However, if I say something stupid, there will be social repercussions. If I am a salesman at Sears and I start telling customers that I think some other store has a better deal, that's my freedom of speech. But, if Sears feels they need to fire me, that's the natural consequence of my decision. If I am teaching kids in Colorado and the people of Colorado feel the things I am teaching are mindless, idiotic and hurtful, I should no longer be permitted to teach. I should certainly NOT be receiving a tax-payer funded salary to pay for my moronic writing.

Second, I wonder if this isn't a double standard. Do you think a tenured professor who was outed as being a member of the KKK would keep his job? Of course not! Should he keep his job? Of course not! Should taxpayers be forced to fund the writing of anti-American idiots regardless of what they say? No!!! This guy has his freedom of speech. He can speak all he wants, but we have the right to stop paying him when his speaking is something Americans don't want to endorse.

This whole thing reminds me of another incident a few years ago when a couple of girls decided to make cookies for some neighbors and leave them on porches. One of the neighbors sued the girls, claiming their cookie delivering caused her stress and exacerbated her heart condition. A judge ordered the girls to pay a fine. This woman started receiving cookies in the mail and door knob ditchers at random times at night. She got very irritated and blamed the girls, again, this time for telling their story. I just laughed. Look, you do something stupid (like suing a couple of girls for dropping off cookies) the law may be on your side. But, consequences that come from the community will happen. Just because the government has no right to judge your actions, doesn't mean your actions have no consequences.

Mr. Churchill: Freedom of speech is and should be absolute. Say whatever you want. But don't expect us to pay you to say it. Grow up and deal with the consequences of your choices. My three-year-old knows that if she uses her toys to hit her brother, she will loose the right to play with her toys. You had a pretty cool toy in your position at the University. You used it to condemn the people paying you. You should loose your job.

Freedom means responsibility.

No comments: