Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Sanctity of Life


Today is a serious day and we’re going to have a serious discussion. Yesterday I was reading the comments written about a news article when I came across this statement, “Sarah Palin is a lunatic. She claims to believe in the sanctity of life, but she loves to go hunting. It doesn’t make any sense.”

You may not see it yet, but this statement is the evidence of the worst evil I can imagine. People everywhere are perplexed by the fact that some people are against abortion because they don’t approve of killing but those same people are not lobbying for wild animals to be put on trial for eating each other. Now, most of us see this as common sense, but I’ll state this very clearly for anyone who doesn’t: humans are different from animals. Shocked? Confused? Disgusted?

From a spiritual perspective this concept is very easy to understand. Humans are children of God. Animals are his creations. If I drew a beautiful picture, I would protect it and treat it with care. But I would torch that picture gladly to save my child from harm. We should respect animals because we are rational, moral people. We should not revere them as humans. I find it absolutely shocking that anyone could think a statement that equates the worth of an animal’s life with the worth of a child’s is anything but nonsense.

I am disgusted by how quickly the value human life is being destroyed. Let me tell you what I know. Each human being is a unique being with an infinite worth. There is no value that ought to be held above that of the human life, soul and mind. I do not believe that any person has the potential to see their own worth. But, I truly wish that I could see you the way God does. Perhaps I would treat you better. Perhaps I would treat myself better. If only the world understood exactly what it's devaluing. If it did, I doubt we'd have to discuss any problems at all. If it did, I'd have nothing to write about, because no one would want to threaten personal liberty.

No comments: